Monday, October 12, 2009

Rick writes about his experience

More from the Tabletop Diary
Monday, October 12, '09
Hard to imagine that it's only a week ago today that I went off to Bremerton for a C.E.U. Class and ended the day at Swedish Hospital in the E.R., riding the renal roller coaster. Seems like a long time ago now but one doesn't get much rest in the I.C.U., especially at night, so time seems to drag on and on.
They turned me loose Sat. the 10th with reservations since I haven't really shown much improvement by medical standards, the worst of which is my creatinine levels (high range by their gauge is a benchmark of 2.11; after a week of intervention, I'm down from a high read of 13.5 (functionally dead) at admission to a low of 11.0 (still functionally dead) at discharge.
It's to the doctors' credit that they did not follow their natural inclinations to severely intervene due to my lack of response but rather took a step back and noticed that I seemed to be improving even as my stats continued to indicate that I was still functionally dead.
This provides me with some degree of cautious optimism as I return home and continue (so far) to rest comfortably and, more importantly, awaken in the morning not dead.

4 comments:

  1. So you went off to Bremerton and wound up in Swedish. Even more proof of the unreliability of the ferry system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear you keep getting better , keep it up, old friends are hard to replace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a sence of humor you have. You are so lucky that you could look at life that way. You were pretty cool in high school too.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes for continued recovery, Rick.

    :)

    ReplyDelete