Thursday, April 22, 2010

Back to Hemodialysis


Rick writes:

4-21-10 Wednesday
Not much time for writing this month and this week has been consumed with training to use the PD cycler. A crisis developed among the PD staff on Monday just as training commenced, which threw a glitch, which I'll describe technically as a monkey wrench, into the works. Instead of transitioning smoothly into cycler training, I've been instead cycling to different dialysis centers to keep on track.
Nurse Angela has been concentrating on the erratic track record of my PD catheter, which hasn't been performing well. It produces drains which are low and then abnormally high later on, making the daily fills hard to predict and hard to calculate. Today she sent me back to the hospital for an x-ray to see if constipation was the problem. By the time we got that done, the PD clinic was closed so I left the disc at the front desk for Angela to see tomorrow. The x-ray tech showed me the pictures before I left and everything sure looked clear to me but Angela will make the call when she sees them tomorrow morning.
I tried to leave the x-ray at the desk in the PD clinic but it was about 18:00 when I got out of the hospital and the 4th floor wasn't accessible for the elevator by that time.
4-22-10 Thursday
Angela called at 07:30 wondering where the disc with the x-rays was. Apparently I was supposed to leave it at the 4th floor desk after all and she called back a half hour later after picking it up downstairs.
She agreed the film looked clear (no constipation) and said it was pretty plain that the PD catheter was installed too high in the abdomen and had to be surgically repositioned.
Sigh. This is a big setback. I hope I don't have to wait too long for the surgical procedure to get set up.
Not Much Later:
Well, I sure didn't need to worry about waiting. Before the morning was out, virtually the entire medical support group called almost simultaneously. I'm off PD and the cycler and scheduled to go back on hemodialysis at West Seattle NWKC 16:00 to 20:00 tomorrow afternoon until further notice. No word on a surgical date but I'll bet I don't have to wait too long for that to get scheduled. Either.
I called Water District #19 and passed on the bad news. Going back to work soon is out the window. Again. Sigh.
4-23-10 Friday
Very impressive! Dr. Pham's office at the Polyclinic called this morning to arrange a surgery date and I opted for the earliest possible date which is Tuesday, April 27th, at 14:15 at the Swedish First Hill campus. The sooner the better! I also scheduled the follow-up appointment for May 11th at 11:00.
Yesterday at Dr. Oliver's suggestion I dumped the last bellyful of PD dialysate from yesterday morning's 2000 ml refill. The troublesome catheter produced only 1700 ml, even after an hour and a half of concentrated effort to get it all out.
Now I'm halfway mournful that the tunnel catheter is gone, much as I hated it. They'll now be bleeding me out through the fistula for the next two or three weeks. I'm just a mass of contradictory emotions at the moment, none of which have any basis in logic. The most illogical of them all is the feeling of abandonment I have for the PD staff for pitching me back into the cauldron of hemodialysis like a reject in a pinball machine.
Thank God for the antidepressant.

Mary writes:
What Rick does not mention here is edema, which was the great evil produced by the non-draining catheter. Fluid has been accumulating in his body, visibly in his feet, hands, and face, not so visibly in his lungs and heart. This is Not Good.
The advantage of the dialysis center machines is that they can remove fluid from the system, eliminating the edema.
The disadvantage to that is that Rick gets severe cramps when the machine removes fluid from his system.
It's a trade-off.
We are not overjoyed, except that the medical people seem to be moving fast to fix what has gone wrong.
Rick is most disappointed in that this will put off his going back to work, as he noted above. He had his hopes up with his training on the cycler.
"Every bump is a boost, Pinky." That's what his grand dad used to tell him. The boost to this is that apparently he was never going to be able to use the cycler machine successfully with this catheter, so fixing it will get him closer to trying again.
And with the edema cleared out of his system, he won't sound like he's underwater when he coughs anymore. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment