Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cartoonist at Work



It's Wednesday, and tomorrow morning we go back in to see Dr. Lilly, the urologist who did Rick's surgery last week. At that time we hope to have revealed what the pathologist found, and what is next.
Rick is worried, and I can't blame him. It's his body that's being processed here, and he doesn't know what's happening. It wears on him.
I am trying to maintain a calm, feet-on-the-ground attitude, but am aware that my true nature is to be going off like one of those fireworks pinwheels, screeching and blowing sparks and not getting anywhere. Still, I try to maintain that calm attitude, at least externally.
Rick went to work for a few hours yesterday and today. Work can be a little bit of normal at a time when a lot seems out of whack. His employers and colleagues are being supportive to him, which is great.
He really appreciates hearing from those of you who get in touch.If I've said that already, I'm saying it again. It means the world to him to know people are thinking of him.
To me, too.
He says that when he speaks on the phone to people he knew in high school, "Their voices sound just the same, and suddenly it's like I'm 17 again." He feels like the friendships are there same as ever, and that feels great.
And now when he can't sleep at night, he can use the time to think up insults to toss at Phil de Fremery. These two have been calling each other "Hose Nose" and "Hedge Face" and other pleasantries for decades now, and there's something life-affirming in those insults, to them, anyway. I just shake my head. Is this any way to talk to a friend? Apparently it is.
Right now Rick is working on this week's Offshore cartoon for next week's issue of The Loop. I include a picture of the strip-in-progress, so you can see how it goes. He draws the whole thing in "photo blue," a pencil which is not supposed to show when copied for publication, although I note that it shows in this picture. He inks the dialogue first, and then later he'll ink in the drawings. He does it slowly and carefully. That's just the way Rick works.
More tomorrow, after the doctor's appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment